1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Racoon attacked my chickens!! Need advice for wound treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sodinedia, Feb 18, 2015.

1. sodinedia

sodinedia Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    This morning a racoon attacked my chickens. It killed my rooster and injured one of my hens. At first I thought only her comb was bitten, but on closer inspection I saw that some of herchest wad eaten off. [​IMG] How do.I treat tjis, should I take her to a vet, or cull her. She's alert, but has not moved from the hen house and is not moving around. Link to imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/f6gxS

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    First soo soo sorry for your difficulties. I would move her to a heat lamp place safe inside your home for special care and tlc. She is definitely in shock. If you have a veterinanrian, I would encourage a visit. If that's not feasible Your vet may prescribe something that would be an antiobiotic as well as a pain killer. She needs to have that area gently cleansed sterile water, then some betadine if you have it. Please do not use rubbing alcohol as it would hurt her. Diluted hydrogen peroxide can be used as an initial cleaner but shouldn't be used all the time as it kills tissue. She needs to have clean bedding and changed on a regular basis to help prevent an infection. I would probably try a topical antiobiotic of triple strength on the wound site. We had a goose once who survived a predator attack and had extensive ripped damage. it took about two months but she made it through. Getting food near her to encourage her to eat and drink is important. I scrambled eggs and put wild onions and things that were fragrant to encourage her to eat. Hope this helps and praying for the best for her and you!

3. sodinedia

Jun 2, 2013
    Should I wrap it somehow? I'm mostly worried about her breast since so much muscle is exposed, I'll have to go buy some stuff is so. Until then I was thinking of just putting a clean tee shirt on her to keep the wound from getting dirty.

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    You could actually make your own bandaging with an old t shirt strips or even old bed sheet or letting her wear a shirt should be fine. clean hay under her or shavings would be great. Mainly she needs to rest and heal and that will take time and she needs a warm secure area as well. If your chicken would allow you to use a t shirt that should be fine. And then you could change the shirts when it needed. I tried bandaging the goose and she really wasn't up for that at all. Being thorough to clean the area, yet as gentle as possible is important, Vet advise about site regarding meds etc please. Have you had a change to clean the area and how did it look?

5. sodinedia

Jun 2, 2013
    The wound is dry, no bleeding or oozingbof anything. There's no skin to sew back together though,and there's muscle th hat has been torn out.I.did what you said to do in your first post, so now it's a waitng game. If she makes it through the night, I'll take that as a good sign, snd try to find a good very some where.

6. sodinedia

Jun 2, 2013
    So i've been cleaning and applying the betadine and neosporin daily. Here are some pictures of day 3. I can't tell if she's doing better. She is eating well, but does not move around very much in the brooder that she's in. Should I bring her outside to see how she does?
    http://imgur.com/a/Ub5YJ

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by