1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Racoon close call- got a big day ahead of me

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Justino, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Last night raccoons were on my coop!!!OMG luckily they didn't get in but after looking at our plastic roof, its very brittle and i decided that im gonna re do it with wood, even though it will be dark in there...i figured it would be better than being dead [​IMG] So i got a big day ahead of me!

heres a pic of my coop roof....
    [​IMG]

ill show ya what it looks like tommorow [​IMG]

2. Firefyter-Emt

Firefyter-Emt Chillin' With My Peeps

If you already have it designed for the plastic, why not swap over to the tin roofing? It should go on esactly how the plastic is and in the long run, cheaper.

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Wow, close call!!! Time for some serious predator proofing!

4. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:because we know where we can get super cheap wood [​IMG]

5. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    if they come back, im gettin the gun...rather take a coons life than lose all my close friends!

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You know what you could do to keep the lighting? Get some welded wire and put that as an underlay for the plastic roofing. That way, even if they can get though the plastic that will now be reinforced, they'd have to get though wire too! That way they will have light and you'll have two layers of protection.

7. Justino

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    well, i didnt have the moolah to build the roof outa wood i put more support beams and but chicken wire under the roof! [​IMG] it should totally be coon proof now!

now mountain lion proof-thats another day [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by