1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

racoon disaster

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by terry the teacher, Dec 10, 2007.

1. terry the teacher

terry the teacher Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2007
    My 2 month old chickens were attacked by a racoon the other night. At least we think it was a racoon. The poor chickens' heads were pulled through the wire. So now my "dirty dozen" is down to 7. 3 hens and 4 roosters ( I think ) I'm a new chicken owner so I'm not sure which is which.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh Terry, how HORRIBLE! Do you just have chicken wire up for a fence? You might want to invest in some hardware cloth....those pesky coons will come back untill all of your babies are gone. They are great climbers as well....hope you have a top on that run. Do you not lock them up at night? Might be a good idea to lock them in the coop, and make sure that pesky coon can not get inside. They are very good at opening certain latches as well. Time for a trap....relocate that monster. Hope you dont lose any more....and above all, be safe!

3. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    So sorry to hear that. I just lost 3/4 of my flock to a bobcat... [​IMG]

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

5. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    :aww aww terry im soory
    i would be happy to come trap it for you.
    But if you happen to get a trap to catch the coon use
    hickory smoked raw bacon , That should catch him.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2007
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry for your loss, heads pulled though sounds like coon to me. Time to use that hardware cloth to circle the runs to make them more pred proof, and also put in a "skirt" so it can't dig under as it now knows where food is.

7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Sorry to hear that I've had the same thing happen to several of mine a few years back. I would set the trap and get rid of it for good!

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's a bummer...my only loss so far was to a raccoon...knock on wood...there won't be anymore...

Chicken wire isn't worth the money...It's good for keeping chickens in but nothing else out...
    Hardware cloth or welded wire is best...
    Raccoons have lovely opposable thumbs just like us and can use their little hands to get in all sorts of trouble.

That's not a splendid intro to chickening, but it does happen.
    Welcome to BYC, by the way...feel free to ask us anything. The search here works quite well too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by