Racoon ESCAPED my trap overnight?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mpguay, May 14, 2011.

1. mpguay

mpguay Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    This is the exact trap I used from TSC.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/live-animal-traps/live-traps-1-small-size-amp-1-medium-size-5132129

We heard noise at about 1am, went out and saw a trapped racoon. We thought we would deal with it in the morning.

In the morning, racoon GONE. Somehow, it had gotten the trap door open just enough. I suspect the "Safety" that is a "New Feature" of this trap.

Needless to say, we will make sure that never happens again. But I am SO dissappointed! I ALMOST got him!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The saddest part is that now he is probably trap "educated." They are strong and they have very dextrous front paws. That being said very luckily I have never had one escape from a live trap. Good luck in retrapping it.

3. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    Those are cheap traps.Did it bend the door to get out?

4. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Hmmmm...I caught a couple of racoons (one that had killed one of my cats) in the same trap and they didn't get out. How do you think that happened?

5. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    I like the older havahart live traps, heavy duty built to last.I've picked up a couple over the years at yard sales. Once the door comes down and
    that locking bar, they can't escape.Never lost one , once caught over the yrs.I agree, that the coon who gets educated will learn to stay away. Too catch the educated coon, you'll have to shift to a didn't level of trapping.The bad thing about them is you can catch unintended animals causing serious injury.I've never used jaw type trap, but they do work for a crafty raccoon, that won't live trap any longer...

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:A 35 POUND COON WILL LEAVE AND NOT TRY REAL HARD [​IMG]

7. mpguay

Apr 27, 2011
    this raccoon was onyl about 10-15 pounds. In this case I think it was small enough to wriggle a hand under thetrap door until the "safety" on the trap door let it slide up. I THINK. Cage was not damaged.

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Notice the dirt dug up, the raccoon is persistent and fingers everything. Sometimes they do make it out.
    [​IMG]

9. mpguay

Apr 27, 2011
    yep! that is about the size and the way the 'scene' looked when we found the empty cage -

10. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    I've had raccoons escape the traps we put out for them, too. They are super flexible and (like mice) have relatively flat skulls meaning that they can squeeze through some surprisingly small spaces. Quite frankly, I'm about done with traps for coons and am considering going straight for the .22 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by