racoon injured my mama hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brandiscott, Jun 22, 2016.

1. brandiscott

brandiscott Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2014
    western kentucky
    So... I've read multiple threads about how to tube feed chickens. I have the supplies... but- when to start it? This is day two after the coon massacre. It killed 3/5 chick's and one of the mamas. This is the other mama. Pretty positive she is blind in the one eye she has left. I have given her approx. 30cc of water twice a day (I work, I'm sorry :() and she is still with us. Today she had a decent poop. But I know she is not eating or drinking. I want to keep her alive because she was my first chicken, but mostly because my chick's are 3 1/2 weeks old and need their mama still. I know I can give antibiotics and all that but my real question is how long before I put her (and myself) through tube feeding. I'm sure a blind chicken can adapt, if they are strong. She's almost 4 years old. Is it humane?

2. brandiscott

Mar 31, 2014
    western kentucky
    Pictures will not upload, I am sorry. The coon attacked her head. She has swelling on both sides, no obvious open areas, but it's not real clean. Nasty looking

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  3. brandiscott

Mar 31, 2014
    western kentucky
    Well nevermind,the coon got her last night

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Sorry about your hens, brandiscott. I just saw your message. 1-day old chicks can survive fine without a mother there. Your chicks have had the benefit of their mama showing them how to scratch and find things so they already have an upper hand over artificially incubated chicks. I would think they will do well without her.

My priority at this point in time would be protecting the chicks from the raccoon being as it will be back for more chicken. Securing the coop would be #1 priority closely followed by priority #1.1...killing that coon. If I had found your first message immediately after you posted it I would have given this same advice.

Best wishes,
    Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by