Racoon killed my pet cat by front door!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bizzybirdy, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    I am sooooooooo sad. Early this morning a big racoon killed my old pet cat right in front of my front door! and the light was on! I saw this racoon out front a few nights ago but as soon as I ran out the door with the shotgun he was running and got away. [​IMG]

There are no chickens out and I guess he decided my poor old half blind long haired cat, Smokey, was a good target. It was raining and I called Smokey several times but figured he went into the open garage to get out of the wet. When he came back to the house the racoon ripped out his stomach and pulled his little leg off. How AWFUL! [​IMG]

Called animal control and they said they "don't loan traps for wildlife!".... but the officer said he would sneak me an old one out later today. I will also once again sit out all night if need be to get this ugly creature. Just thought racoons would not come out in the rain.....

2. shaynapalmer

shaynapalmer Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG] I'm so terribly sorry for your loss, I hope you capture that evil disgusting coon!!!! I'm glad the animal control officer is willing to help

3. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    [​IMG] How sad! That's terrible! My heart hurts for you, and I'm so sorry this happened! Wow, I knew coons could be vicious, but I didn't know they would kill a cat. I appreciate you posting this -

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    When you trap it, please don't relocate it. Just shoot it.

5. ChickenDogDuck

ChickenDogDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Or~e~gun
    After you shoot it, reset the trap. There will be another nearby.

6. Kiadaisy

Kiadaisy New Egg

Jun 2, 2009
    Sumner, WA
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry. Good luck getting that raccoon!

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG] I agree! Keel it! Keel it DEAD! [​IMG]

8. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

That is terrible! I wouldn't even be able to talk about it! Darned coons, they are adorable but they have no fear of humans because the locations, laws and all that garbage. But set a trap in a corner where a skunk wouldn't bother to climb and catch it. I know what I'd do, but good luck. Dang coon. So sorry about your cat.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    So sorry about your old cat, at least she had a good life with you.

Coons are BAD, they like baby kittens and chickens and they will not hestiate to kill them for fun or eat.

Yep, like the other folks say in here, KILL, do not relocate them!

10. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Horrible! I'm so sorry for your loss! [​IMG] I hope you catch that coon soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by