racoon took feathers off duck's back

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by claraserena, Jul 23, 2013.

1. claraserena

claraserena Songster 11 Years

Mar 5, 2007
    Five days ago my 5 week old call duck was attacked by a raccoon--all the feathers on her back are off and a couple of spots at the joint of her wings. I got antibiotic ointment from the vet to apply to the areas that are red. She said I could put her back out with the others but the duck ("Sunny") would just sit in one place--I couldn't tell if she was eating or drinking or not. Then I brought her in and put her in a plastic crate, with water, food, straw--but she still just sat. I did see her eat and drink but mostly she sits. Now I have her in shallow water in the bathtub with a bowl of food and a platform she can get on. Again, she drank lot when I put her in and ate some but now just sits on the platform. When she walks she will take a few steps then stop and sit. Is this just how she would act while recovering? Does anyone know how long it will take for her feathers on her back to grown back? She seems to be shivering a little.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Songster

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    She is probably in shock from the attack, the change of scene and the extra attention from you. Keep her in and quiet until she is acting more herself. Give her a few days minimum but it would be safest to wait until any open wounds heal to avoid infection/flies.

It will take a while for the feathers to grow back. She should be fine but make sure she isn't getting chilled due to being inthe water.

Also, make sure that you have fixed whatever area the raccoon got in through. It will be back. In addition to fixing their house, I'd get a trap too in order to take care of the problem.

3. claraserena

Mar 5, 2007
    Thank you, jdywntr! I will keep her in and make sure to position her a couple of times of day so she gets her beak in water and is by food. I hope she's a bit more herself before all the feathers grow in. We're in Wisconsin and it's chilly tonight. We caught one raccoon in a live trap--a neighbor picked it up and will take it to a woods where they hunt raccoon with dogs. But it was a young raccoon and I think the one that hurt the duck was a big one I've seen at our bird feeders. We'll keep at it.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

Just to add if you are noticing her shiver like she is cold, I wouldn't put her in water. unless nice and warm for bathing only then give her a nice soft bedding either old clean towels or pine shavings along with her food and water and some electrolytes vitamins in her water. And as jw said she is probably still suffering from shock. Hopefully with your TLC she make full recovery. [​IMG]

5. claraserena

Mar 5, 2007
    Many thanks for good advice! My duck has been indoors in a crate and mostly on a soft towel and her feathers are growing back well. She's eating and drinking and while she has room to move around she has been sitting. I just figured she was resting. I give her lap time every evening. Today it is finally warm so I put her out in a grassy pen with other ducks and watched. She just sat. When she tried to get away from one of the ducks she "walked" using her wings, her feet tucked up at her sides. I did not/do not see any injury to her legs and t stretched them out--no bad joint or anything. I am hoping this (can't stand or walk) is b/c she has been inactive. Is there some kind of therapy I could do for her? right now she is in a pen on grass but under a heavy metal cage so the others can't hurt her. I'll bring her in tonight. Just want to know if ducks get "lame" like this just from not using their legs? And of course what to do.

6. Miss Lydia

Does lap time mean swim time? swimming is best therapy to gain strength back in her legs. So happy to hear she is doing so well. Maybe some good poultry vitamins added to her drinking water if you haven't already.

7. claraserena

Mar 5, 2007
    Lap time has been on my lap. When I put her in water she kind of used her legs but not aggressively. I think the water (in the bathtub) was too cool then too (she was shivering) so I have kept her out of water. Maybe warmish water? How warm? Sorry I sound so dumb on this. I know chickens better than I know ducks. Vitamins are a good idea. the shivering might stop when she is fully feathered on her back again.

8. Miss Lydia

Nice and warm like for taking a bath, she'll most likely not want to get out. lol and that's hilarious lap time on your lap and I thought you had her swimming laps in the pool.

9. claraserena

Mar 5, 2007
    swim therapy is helping!-she's in the tub several hours day--at first she just let her legs hang down but is using them more. I have the water shallow at one end so she can "walk. " Also "walk" her around on a towel outside the tub supporting her weight. Here's a picture from last night after I took her out of the tub. She shakes and preens and from time to time stands. Sorry it's blurry.
    [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Aww Bless it's heart. Been through a lot but your seeing progress because of your TLC. Keep up the good work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: