Racoon tracks!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kandie-kiss, Mar 15, 2011.

1. kandie-kiss

kandie-kiss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    I just seen fresh racoon tracks just outside of my hen house! I do not have a live trap, what should I do?

2. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    pellet gun keeps the coons away at my place not as loud as a firearm and my beeman shoots a .22 cal pellet at over 800 fps

3. buckeyefever

buckeyefever Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Sunbury, OH
    You might want to run to your nearest Tractor Supply, feed store or somewhere near you and get a trap. Might need that pellet rifle for the next part, though.

4. peepnegg

peepnegg New Egg

Mar 8, 2010
    I've had one visit nightly for a year. I've seen it and know its schedule. 10 p.m. it arrives. I dump the water bowls, pick up treat plates, etc before bed. I don't feed extra food that will sit around. Since my hens sleep in a hen house with solid walls and my house pets (dogs, cat) are put away every night, the raccoon has not been a problem for me. If I had one that was showing up creating problems I might try to do something about it but I'm not interested in killing an animal just because he made an appearance. If there is nothing available to eat or drink they usually pass by. I recommend calling your fish and game office to see what they recommend if you decide to get a live trap. In my area they will pick up nuisance animals sometimes. They may have other recommendations or know a company that will re-locate the animal.
    Good luck,
    Britta

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by