1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Racoon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Slotred, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Slotred

Slotred Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    I found coon tracks around my run, so I bought a Have a Heart trap, but it was flimsy and useless, so I bought a leg-hold trap and caught him. He weighed about 20 pounds. Yesterday, I put 2-tons of fresh sand in the run, and this morning there were more coon tracks around the run. I had re-baited the steel trap and left it in the same area, but apparently the raccoon was to smart to get caught in the same trap as his buddy, so I moved it. I hope to get him tonight. Any suggestions? By the way, I live in the suburbs, on a busy street.
    Thanks.

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

If the run wire is secure, wired in on the roof and around the base about 12" up then don't be real worried. He'll be hungry, frusterated and tired of the chickens blowing raspberries at them [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Slotred

Slotred Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    Thanks very much. My run is secure, and I keep the girls locked up at night, so I'm fairly well prepared. However, I am aware of how smart those animals are, so as far as I'm concerned, a good coon is a dead coon, at least in my yard.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Amen bro. As long as the birds are safe, you can focus on trapping out the critters at your leasure

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:change the way you set the trap instead of a pocket set use a dirt hole and cover the trap some with dirt use a different bait etc change the location

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by