Racoons and Chicken Wire

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nittanyxi, May 11, 2010.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    How does a racoon get through chicken wire. I've been told I should use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire because racoons will tear right through it. I can't even tear through chicken wire how does a racoon get through?

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Songster

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    They can rip it! They also stick their little hands through and pull pieces of chickens out and rip it up that way [​IMG]

Go with the hardware cloth if you have coons around - you'll be happy that you did and make sure you bury it into the ground too to stop those diggers from getting in. Good Luck!

Edited for typos...

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  3. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Does anyone have pictures of damage done to chicken wire from a racoon? I can see if they pull it up from where it is stapled to a post but I don't understand how they can rip it.

4. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Songster

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    They have razor sharp teeth and crushing jaw power, and in some cases are stronger than you. They have sharp claws, hand-like paws with tough pads. And the tough pads help protect their paws as they push, tear, and rip through the wire. A large hungry coon isn't afraid to get a few cuts.

5. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Songster

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Quote:Ha ha! They will literally rip your chicken wire in no time! Please do not underestimate a coon. They are also masters at opening latches and hooks. I call them North America's monkeys! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by