1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Racoons?? ......Coyotes???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lyon3mchics, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Lyon3mchics

Lyon3mchics Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Northern Michigan
    First off - thank you for all the wonderful information, I have received this past year. Last year we converted my daugthers playhouse to our coop. The coop has two windows that open. The lower level is about 4ft from the ground. The second window is in the loft area. (Which is used only for storage.) I do open both windows and used chicken wire in the inside to keep out pest. After reading some of these posts I wonder is that is going to keep out a racoon? Both of the windows are the kind that crank outward.

We have always thought coyotes were our biggest fear...maybe not.

2. Lyon3mchics

Lyon3mchics Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Northern Michigan
    I will add - the door to our coop is one of the mini door (grandpa made a great little house for his grandkids...now chickens) but, I have added two latches outside just incase my daughters didn't latch the door tight.

3. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    A determined coon can get through chicken wire in most cases. They love to get in an area and use their body as leverage.....and a crank out window would allow them to do this. Maybe a few cross braces on the inside to firm up the wire or replace it with hardware cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by