1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Racoons killed my baby Henretta, new protections now

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cinken1968, Jul 25, 2014.

1. cinken1968

cinken1968 Hatching

Mar 27, 2014
    We caught the stinker that made my baby suffer so bad. It is called a steel trap. Had no Idea they would chew the top rail on a chain link fence. They are really dangerous. That one will not be back. We just made a new under back deck a pen & new nesting box for the new baby(Jan-ice). We hope to get her this weekend.
    Look at the pics & see if it will work, Please.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    In the future have you considered making an enclosed coop with a run? I'm sorry for your loss.

3. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Songster

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    It would be best if you used 1/2 inch hardeware cloth all the way up to the floor of the porch that way coons cant reach in with there little paws and grab one of your girls again.

4. cinken1968

cinken1968 Hatching

Mar 27, 2014
    We wanted to make the nesting box under the deck but it was too tall to fit. Figured this way we can put the flood light on the box at night.

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]
    So sorry for your loss, but now for this new setup....I'm very afraid it will not work. Why? Because you're using the wrong kind of wire entirely. That 2x2 welded wire is peanuts to raccoons...they'll tear through it like it was butter. And even if it WAS strong enough they can reach through with their paws and snap a chicken's neck in a second...that's their favorite thing to do. Please consider using 1/2" hardware cloth from ground level up to the flooring of your deck if you must have it there under your deck. And be sure to apron the hardware cloth down and out at least 10-12" .. here's an example:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

Maybe I'm confused with what your trying to do here so correct me if that is the case lol! So the outfit with the wheels, is that the nesting box? Is the plan to have the bird sleep in there at night? If there is a bird locked inside it at night a flood light won't stop a predator from trying to get in but aside from that, if that is the case, there is not nearly enough ventilation for a bird to be closed up in there all night, especially in the summer.

7. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Songster

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    In my experinces the flood light wont do much if nothing at all to keep coons away those little critters are fearless, I prefer to fix my coop and run properly so they cant get in then have to keep spending money and time redoing it, I am also a firm believer in live traping and relocating predators then killing them. Its Always good to keep the natural wildlife and ecosystem healthy and unharmed. "When I doubt always remind
    yourself that they were here long before we
    were".

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by