racoons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mamas, Aug 21, 2013.

1. mamas

mamas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2012
    We live in DE. So when we built the coop we made it fox proof. When I made the door I made it so in the summer every other pc of 1x4 come out(12"s high , 5 ft off the ground).It was for ventilation. Never assumed a raccoon would be able to get up there and in , but it did. So if your making a new coop, keep all predators in mind even if you haven't seen them in your yard.

2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Did any chickens survive?

3. mamas

mamas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2012
    We had 5 chickens in the coop ,2 survived unharmed.. one black austrolorp was literally eaten, my buff orphington was injured(think maybe it broke her neck) and died within minutes and I had another that had an open wound by its tail feathers which did heal. I heard the chickens make a terrible noise at 3am and immediately went outside to see what happened. The coop was closed up tight, I was going to open the coop door and thought twice, had no idea what was inside. Looked back and a raccoon was climbing the fence on the inside. We got it out and I haven't had any problems since. We changed the design so instead of a whole piece of a 1x4 coming out we drilled holes in the 1x4s. I never would have thought a raccoon could squeeze thru a 3.?" slot.

4. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I read somewhere they can fit into a 2 inch slot - I wouldn't believe it, but I saw a documentary about the raccoon problem in Toronto. They showed a mother raccoon climbing up a vertical wall and going into a garage via a 2" slot. They are also incredibly strong. Search youtube for "raccoon in garage" and there is a video showing a raccoon trapped in a garage, and he ends up lifting up the two car door, and escaping that way! I have all of my openings / windows etc covered with 1/2" hardware wire fence, and that has proved effective in keeping critters and such out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by