radio in coop at night

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hawk, Aug 5, 2009.

1. hawk

hawk In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Has anyone heard that a radio in the coop at night can help keep preditors away?

2. cw

cw Songster

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    weve heard of it but it seems like anything else they get used to it , i dont know.
    we keep a baby monitor in the coop and use a small shotgun to keep em in check

3. YellaDog

YellaDog In the Brooder

Jun 21, 2009
    Cumberland Plateau
    We also have a baby monitor in the coop and a shot gun by the back door. We've only caught one set of glowing eyes out there so far, and letting the dogs out made whatever that was leave in a hurry.

4. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Songster

May 8, 2008
    I have a radio that plays talk radio & mine go to sleep to the sounds of baseball at night. The real intention was to sooth my lone chicken I had for a while after a bear attack last year. It worked well for that & I like the idea of it becoming something that's a soothing familiarality for them when things are in flux you know what I mean?

I also have a baby cam in the coop so I can hear & see.... I haven't set up one for my other coop yet but I think I will soon because it's a great comfort when you're wondering "did I just hear something out in the coop clawing??" More reliable than my ears or the cam is the dogs nose though & I usually just let mine go & that takes care of whatever is there.

5. I have a radio going 24/7 in the chicken barn.

The dhooks are used to the music and voices.

I also keep a low wattage light on in the barn.

We do the same in the horse barn.

Does it deter predators ? Well, the jury is out on this,
    but the animals sure do like it.

6. hawk

hawk In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    I appreciate the feedback, We have quite a few foxes living behind our house and we also have a blue heeler who seems to hear the slightest noises outside at night and will go out and bark at them and keep the foxes at a distance but this weekend we will be gone a few days and the dog is coming along Although a neighbor will lock the chickens in at night it still makes me a little nervous with the foxes.

7. cw

cw Songster

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    yea if your leaving town i woud leave a radio on

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: