radio in there coup??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by devin mctaggart, Mar 16, 2012.

1. devin mctaggart

devin mctaggart Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    hubby and i are newbies to the country living and chicken. we moved into our home with chickens living just down from us. lol the previous owners left them for us. there was a radio in the chicken coop so my husband desided to leave it on for them. would this be a good thing or bad?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Some people believe noise like a radio, especially talk radio deters predators.

Imp- might been that the previous owner like to listen to it. [​IMG]

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Chilling out listening to the radio, drinking something cold, watching chicken TV. Could be. There have been a few claims that music helps keep things on an even keel, allowing for better production. I do know that animals seem calmer with music. Or is that me mellowing out?

1 person likes this.
  4. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    This is only somewhat related to this post, but upon you mentioning the radio to deter predators it made me think of a story from my father and grandfather. On our farm, way back when, they had planted corn nearby to the house. The raccoons LOVED it and so my grandfather and father but a radio out there by the corn with music or something on, and also had a big light out there to try and deter them. The next morning when they went out, the coons had turned the radio to static, and had picked corn and eaten it under the light!!

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    My father put a radio out in the sweet corn too. It was set to a all talk news station, no lights theory being they would hear talking but couldn't see anybody and would not chance someone being in the corn. It worked, except. The next day he mowed the lawn and cut the extension cord. Fixed the cord. The next week what does he do? He mows the lawn and cuts the radio's cord. Good thing he was good at fixing electrical stuff. Maybe our raccoons didn't know enough to change the station.

6. devin mctaggart

devin mctaggart Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    cute i want to plant corn just to try it out

7. mc4mcChicken

mc4mcChicken New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    Our girls listen to Country 24/7.

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Tried the radio on the chickens once, and they stared at it like it was going to explode. :lol:

perhaps they don't like the music they play on my local radio station. :confused:
    Can't imagine there'd be anything wrong with it though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by