Radio Shack Thermometer/Hygrometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aceschix, Jan 11, 2010.

1. aceschix

aceschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Anyone know if these are worth the $20. it is a square white digital job with the external temp. prob. Is this the one you were all talking about that needed to put the entire unit in the incubator? Is it any good? If not suggest away!

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have been looking for one with a probe, thanks! I would pay $20 just to not have to open the bator to see the temp in there every time. I look a LOT because I have hovabators and they just BITE at temp regulation.

3. aceschix

Oct 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I just got a Genesis 1588...i hope that is not the one that bites [​IMG] [​IMG]

the prob only does temp.

4. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    If you are looking at the thermohygrometer on the Radioshack website, I suggest that you read the feedback posted. Most of the feedback says that controller isnt very accurate with temp diff's of 3-5 degrees between the inside and external probe. I havent tried one myself, I was considering it until I read the feedback.

5. aceschix

Oct 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Honestly I just bought it at the store today because I thought it was what I needed. I will check the feedback and was looking for some here. If it is junk I will take it back without opening.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I like mine and even got a second one [​IMG] My hatches have been perfect with this Thermometer.

ETA: It seems they all may vary a bit, and a few numbers should not have much impact on
    your hatch. After all, look how the hens hatch their eggs [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  7. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Quote:Honestly I just bought it at the store today because I thought it was what I needed. I will check the feedback and was looking for some here. If it is junk I will take it back without opening.

Like I said, I havent tried one, it may work just fine. I just figured if it wasnt anymore accurate than the $12 models I can buy at Wally World, why pay the extra bucks.

8. farmboydj

farmboydj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    puyallup wa
    not worth the money i bought mine a couple of months ago and it messed up my whole hatch it was off 5f the whole time very bad!!!! very bad!!!!!!

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:If you're spending that much go for the Spot Check or Egg Temp thermometers (same thermometers, just different names)...much more precise and won't run much more than what your looking at at Ratshack. This is a spot check type of thermometer so you might want a cheap wallyworld hygro/temp digital gauge in there for a "quick glance" check and for measuring humidity.

Just a thought...
    Ed

10. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Quote:I agree! I bought one and it is a full 5 degrees off! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by