Radio Show - Garrison Keillor

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Buff Hooligans, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I like to listen to Prairie Home Companion on Saturday nights (except when he gets "political"), and I was just on the website.

On last Saturday's show, he told a story about his childhood and having a pet chicken named Francine. The sound effects guy got the clucking sound really perfectly.

Here's a resulting letter to the show:

CHICKENS

Hi -
    did Garrison actually own a pet chicken as a child? He sounded so sincere on Saturday's show, and Francine seemed so delightful, I'm curious. Thanks for any info,

Patsey M.

I'm glad I was able to convince you, Patsey, and now that you're writing in for confirmation, I feel that I ought to lie to you and say, yes, Francine was a real chicken and she saved my life once in a blizzard, but for some reason I am in a truthful mood, it being Holy Week and all, and so the answer is: no. We ate chickens in our family. My father cut their heads off with a hatchet, chickens that I personally caught with a coat hangar, chased them and hooked them by their ankles and brought them flapping to the chopping block where he dispatched them and handed them off to my mother who dipped them in boiling water and stripped their feathers and then performed the autopsy. I'm sure there were children who had pet chickens, delightful ones, but I was never so delighted by animals. They are very good to make up stories about, though, and so we do. Often. We can say whatever we like about chickens and they will never write us fussy letters or call up their lawyers. Chickens are cool with fiction.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. greentree

greentree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    I heard that and was rolling on the floor!! He was my hero for a long time, and I still love to listen to the show (agree about the political) but after I went to a book signing of his, I let him go....

My father's family is convinced that the show is all about our family, since they live in that same area of Minnesota, and there were 3 bachelor farmers in the family (Geman, though, not Norwegian), and one of my uncles is buddies with the man who runs the "Chatterbox Cafe".

Who knows?? Only Garrison, I guess!!

Nancy

3. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    He did a show in Baton Rouge quite a few years ago when we lived there. They did a meet and greet after the show at the state capital. He has an enormously large head! [​IMG] Seemed like a nice guy, though.

4. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    Quote:What did he do at a book signing that was so bad?

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Hmmmm, he is pretty scary looking up close. Maybe he frightened the small children.

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    He does have a face made for radio.

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:EXACTLY!

8. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I heard it to! I love that show, it is my fav. program. I love the Swansons the 45 year old pairs figure skaters, cracks me up every time!

9. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    Quote:EXACTLY!

WOW!!!!! [​IMG]

I just saw his picture and i couden't agree more......
    It's going to be hard to listen to him knowing what he looks like now....... [​IMG]

10. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    Long time fan of Garrison. Saw the show performed live in Claremont, Ca in the 1990's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by