Radioactive layers????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lighthorseman, Oct 17, 2014.

1. lighthorseman

lighthorseman New Egg

Dec 2, 2011
    First posting here....wife Clair wanted to start this craziness four years back up and until recently it was pretty uneventful. But one day when gathering the eggs we discovered an egg that was three times the size of the others........here's what I mean.
    [​IMG]

If that wasn't strange enough when I opened the egg to fry it.............
    [​IMG]

.......there was an egg inside and egg![​IMG]
    A few days ago I cracked open a regular size egg.....and there was no yoke inside....just white!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  2. ChookRanger

ChookRanger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    I actually saw this on youtube .I don't know if it is "normal" but at least it's not unheard of.

3. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    An occasional glitch in the matrix is nothing to be concerned about. There's a "weird eggs" thread floating around here someplace. If it starts happening regularly, then I would start looking into causes, but until then, give it a laugh :)

4. lighthorseman

lighthorseman New Egg

Dec 2, 2011
    Not worried..........weird stuff happens here in the Northwest....Sasquatch, Seattle, Starbuck's, liberals.........in fact, though I live across the boarder in "Free America.....Idaho" our hens are far more normal than much of what happens west of us. So the odd egg anomalies are not a concern.
    The great thing about having chickens unlike children is that if they act up we can eat them!

Living the good life and relishing empty nesting in Idaho!

5. lighthorseman

lighthorseman New Egg

Dec 2, 2011
    Yesterday we discovered an smaller than normal egg (not much bigger than a wild bird egg)................so we supposed it was a first egg from one of our two new chicks.....who are 5months old now. However upon cracking open, discovered another "yokeless" egg. So was the first egg we had a week ago that was without a yoke from the same hen.......if so, was it from one of our older Bantams...or a second egg laid by one of the chicks.......or......were the two eggs from two different Bantams.....an older hen and a chick? ................if I look out some night and see strange lights hovering over the coop, I'll have better answers.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by