Radish Seeds

Ascholten

Free Ranging
Dec 12, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
One of my friends is offering to give me 10 Lbs of radish seeds. (Don't ask...)
I was wondering if, as a snack, it would be ok to give the chickies those seeds once in a while. I know radishes probably are not good for them, like onions and garlic would not be good, but wonder about the seeds?

Any info? also, what about radish leaves if I let them grow?

Thanks
Aaron

Radishes, radish leaves, garlic, and onions are all 100% fine for chickens. Some people don't feed them garlic and onion due to baking with the eggs, but if you eat the eggs straight then it is like seasoning :lau

I might do just that. They literally tore the yard around the composted into a wasteland. Maybe Ill throw the seeds down in that barren tundra, let them grow a bit to put some grass / greens back in that area and hope they don't whump it too badly once they discover the newfound greens!
Aaron

Radishes, radish leaves, garlic, and onions are all 100% fine for chickens. Some people don't feed them garlic and onion due to baking with the eggs, but if you eat the eggs straight then it is like seasoning :lau
The other day, I picked up my silkie hen. She had straight garlic breath.. surely enough they was snacking on wild onions behind the coop.

Both you and your chickens will love radish sprouts. Grow them the same as you would alfalfa sprouts. With 10lbs of seed it may be best to refrigerate or freeze some to keep them fresh longer. Make sure to save some for yourself. They are awesome on an egg salad sandwich.

Im not a big radish fan but may give that a try. Ill make sure the girls get plenty of them as well. Oh who are we kidding, whether I want them to or not, if they are out there... the girls are going to figure out a way to get to them... thats what chickens do. I think they went to Evil Academy with my cockatoo when it comes to being sneaky on things like that.

Aaron

Interesting, garlic onions are definitely BAD for a cockatoo, yet chickens can handle them. That's good to know for sure. I read somewhere that feeding them garlic actually can neutralize the smell of the turds. I kind of find that hard to believe, maybe make it smell garlicy, hence less offensive? :🤷: With that in mind, keeping chickens inside, for when starting them out as younguns' I wonder if garlic in their food would help lessen that smell you might come across as they start getting a bit older.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom