ragged feather & bare neck/rump - PICS

opihiman911

Songster
14 Years
Mar 19, 2007
I have 3 RIR/austrolorp chicks that are about 3 months old. 2 of the chicks have feathered and filled out nicely. This other chick has really ragged feathers and a bare neck, face & rump. I don't see any redness or raw spots. I have watched them and they are all eating and drinking well. The ragged one isn't getting picked on. All 3 of them still huddle under their momma and night. The ragged one seems healthy and strong it is just looking pretty sad compared to its siblings.
I'm not too worried because I'm pretty sure the ragged one is a roo and will be culled soon. I just don't want to be missing something or have him suffer from something I can help him with.
The other chicks with the ragged one is its siblings that look fine.
Any ideas whats going on?

Aloha,
Cory

Image3.jpg

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

edited pics added

Last edited:
Have they always looked this way ?

I would say lice,mites ? Have they been treated for mites or worms ?
I wouldn't think they would molt this young and if they have always been this way I would suspect mite or lice.
IM not as experienced as some so hopefully they will pipe in and help you.

When it had chick fuzz it looked just like its siblings. It wasn't till they started to get feathers in that it started to look like this.
I've checked it for lice, mites and I don't see anything externally, and all my others are free of external parasites.

Cory

I too say lice or mites, some of these pest can't be seen very well and if you do not treat the coop area they will reappear, they tend to hide out under roost rungs, look for them.

Back
Top Bottom