Ragged hens

kristihilmoe

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
It started with one hen getting what i can only call a prolapse... we are new chicken people as of March 2011 so everything is new to us. We separated her and she is free ranging and does not seem to get any worse. Then two hens in the coop or run or whatever you call where they live, are missing feathers around their tail-feathers. First just above the tail-feathers, now i see its kind of all the way around the tail-feathers, and up towards their backs, just bare chicken skin. I dont see anything they are pecking at, but i will see them pull feathers now and then. Heck, they are even pulling their own feathers sometimes. Today I found one of the white hens with her red headgear flopped over her eye, like someone tore at it. What is going on with the chickens? Are they molting? We got them all at the same time, March 3rd, as babies. 4 black ones, 6 white ones. One of the black ones turned out to be a rooster
sad.png
I dont want to see them get worse one at a time, not sure what to do about the bare areas on by the tail feathers. They are all laying daily, except for the one thats out free ranging, and she might be, just wouldnt know where the eggs are. Whats up with my chickens? Will try to get pics of ragged ones.

Bare skin by tail feathers
84971_csc_1716.jpg

My french hen
wink.png
with her red thingy all floppy now
84971_csc_1713.jpg

More bare skin
84971_csc_1718.jpg

I'd personally hold one and look closely for lice - little bitty bugs just like human head lice (but not transferable to humans though they may still try to snack on you).

If you still have the roo, it might be from overbreeding too.

Back
Top Bottom