Railway sleepers under coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken Smallhorn, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Chicken Smallhorn

Chicken Smallhorn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Adelaide
    Is it a good idea to have the coop slightly elevated above the surrounding earth to help keep the litter dry?

If so, I was considering sitting my 5' square timber coop on a bed of timber railway sleepers, with deep litter on top. Would that work or should I have the litter on the soil?

2. Brahma Mamma

Brahma Mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    You have the right idea. Our first coop was a converted utility shed and it was already on runners about a foot off the ground. This saves the bottom of the shed from getting rot from damp or wet. The railway timbers are a great idea! I would just make "runners" of the timbers so that air will be able to ventilate below the coop - which will also come up through the coop and help with coop ventilation too! Pictures?

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Check out my BYC page----I do the exact opposite, and have been for over 15 years. My Coop floor is sub-ground level with deep litter that can build up to 18" without touching wood. (brick foundation, buried)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by