1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rain and my chickens / drama with the city

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nicokl502, Apr 14, 2011.

1. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    so after some drama with the the people two door down calling the city on me because they hate my chickens, i can keep my chickens but i have to move coop we wouldn't be able to move till the weekend so i just put my gals back outside in there coop they were very happy to be back outside, and i don't care what the people two house down have to say the city said we are fin as long as we move the coop when we can. but now they are back out and we are going to get rain the next two days and i am not sure how they will deal with should i just put them in there coop till the rain stop or let them out and they can go in when they want to????[​IMG]

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Let them out. They'll go in if they need to.

3. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    ok thanks so much!!!!

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    My chickens love standing and pecking in the rain [​IMG]

5. braddeeadams

braddeeadams Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Mine too!! I don't think I have seen them go inside during a rain this year!!

6. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    I worry about mine getting soaked and catching a chill this time of year if I let them out in the rain. But, I live in New England.

7. alhanse77

alhanse77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Rexburg, ID
    I agree with other posters. They will go in if they want/need to, but mine also love the rain. It brings all of the little worms to the surface of the soil! Yum!

8. ketcham

ketcham Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Marshallville,Ohio
    WHAT ABOUT THE OL'WIVES TALE??? I was thinking they might drown!!!!! hahaha!!!! Kevin [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    You cant pay my chickens to go in the coop when it's raining...and they look like drowned rats!

10. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    Rain must not hurt chickens because they seem to enjoy being out in it. Mine run for the dry dirtbath area as soon as they get out in the morning. They go from the dirtbath out into the rain and end up looking like pigpen in the Peanuts comic strip. I don't know how they get cleaned up again but they always seem to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by