1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Rain barrel collection water safe?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Urban_Farmer, Sep 15, 2018 at 5:31 PM.

1. Urban_Farmer

Urban_Farmer In the Brooder

Aug 8, 2018
    St Louis Park, MN
    I know that rain barrel collection is not a potable system for human consumption without treatment. I am wondering if this is the same for chickens or if they are able to digest this safely. I realize at some point stagnation is a problem for many reasons. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Thanks.

Chick-N-Fun and Trish1974 like this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I've been using a rain barrel for years to water critters. We used to have a wooden one that would get funky. We recently switched a nice plastic one with a cover to keep out the mosquitoes. The funky barrel we dumped every few weeks and cleaned. The plastic hasn't needed it yet.

3. Urban_Farmer

Urban_Farmer In the Brooder

Aug 8, 2018
    St Louis Park, MN

That's a great point. I had seen one for a decent price and had given it some thought, but I think you just resolved that choice for me.

oldhenlikesdogs and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

I also use a rain barrel to water critters and plants. If it gets funky I dump it and let it refill...Mine is also plastic...

oldhenlikesdogs and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  5. Perris

Perris Songster

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    mine have a choice of rainwater from a plastic barrel or tap water in a waterer and they all take from both with no obvious preference, and from puddles, an occasional (rainwater run-off) stream, other random small pools of water, and they all seem fine on it :)

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  6. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer Premium Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I use my plaster rain barrel for my chickens as well. I change their water bowls so often, so it’s a great resource!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: