Rain Barrel condos

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LindenLiving, Nov 2, 2011.

1. LindenLiving

LindenLiving Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    So I felt bad for my rooster, who just hung out in the rain as he is too large to fit under the coop with the girls, but won't go into the coop since he can't keep on eye on them. Winterizing yard, emptied rain barrels, and inspiration struck. Removed screen from rain barrel, which kept muck out of water, and moved it into chicken run. Placed barrels on their side on pallet and strapped them to the pallet to keep them from rolling off in windy weather. Filled with straw.....instant rooster condo!!! He is happy since he can keep his eye on his girls while staying out of rain and I feel better knowing he isn't getting soaked every couple of days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Excellent job recycling!

3. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    I LOVE pallet creations. I have some pallets here I am itching to put to some use. Thinking... roost outside my office window so Penny Henny can be near me while I work.

(Would love to see pictures - always.)

4. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Great idea. Can you post a picture of it?

5. LindenLiving

LindenLiving Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    added picture to original post

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I agree it's is an excellent idea for re-purposing the rain barrels. It's wonderful that your roo loves his new spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by