Rain barrel for your flock?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coop-er, Jan 26, 2014.

1. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    We are building a new coop this spring and although we may add electric it will still be a distance from my water supply. However, the coop will be close to a newly constructed barn/garage. It occured to me that I could install a rainbarrel on the corner of the barn to collect rain water and use this to supply drinking water to the chickens. Is this feasible? Have any of you done this and does anyone see a problem with this plan? I guess I am asking if this is ok healthwise for my flock. Thanks all.

2. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    [​IMG]My plan is to add a rain barrel this year as well. So I'm interested in the replies as well. I want to add some kind of filter but not sure exactly where in the line to put it.

3. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Bump [​IMG]
    This sounds interesting.

4. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    I'm really liking this idea. Lots of sales on right now too. [​IMG]

5. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I've had rain barrels under my gutters for years for garden water. From what I find in the bottom of them they are empty, I would suggest placing the filter where the water enters the barrel from the downspout. When I drain my barrels I then empty them out and the is always a small pile of shingle grit that is at the bottom.
    Several springs we ran a pipe from the downspout to the pool to fill it after opening, we had old stockings over the end of the pipe and still got grit in the pool and a bunch in the stocking. No matter the age of your roof, if it is asphalt shingles I would expect to get grit in the water all the time.

If you place the output of the barrel above the bottom of the barrel that will probably help immensely with the grit getting into the lines.

6. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop

7. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Wow...grit even with a stocking over the end of the downspout? I would have not guessed that, but it is good to know. I am trying to research this, the filter is one issue and the "quality" of the water (for drinking purposes) is the other issue. My rational side is telling me that chickens eat and drink anything they come across so it is not an problem (maybe add a little vinegar?) I am just trying to avoid missing something obvious.

8. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I don't know about your chickens but my chickens seem to prefer to drink out of dirty puddles rather then drinking out of their waterers filled with fresh water. [​IMG]

This is good info. Maybe ill buy a rain barrel for my flock.

9. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop

10. rskovira

rskovira New Egg

Jan 6, 2014
    Cumberland Valley, PA
    Do you think the grit would be a problem for the chickens? If it gets washed onto the ground they would probably eat it anyhow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by