Rain barrel/tank with nipple waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ourflockof4, May 12, 2010.

1. ourflockof4

ourflockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Northern Ohio
    We are going to be installing some water nipples in the coop and run, and I plan on using a rain barrel to catch the runoff from the roof to fill it. Well actually I have a 300 gallon water tank that I was thinking of using instead of a barrel. I have seen this setup may times with just a barrel, so my question is will the increased capacity of the tank create too much head pressure for the nipples to work properly? I wouldn't assume that it wouldn't make too much of a difference since the main controling factor for head pressure is height (I think) I just wanted to ask before I spent the time to make the platform and get everything set up and then have it not work.

Yeah I'm sure that don't need a 300 gal tank, but I have it so we are going to us it [​IMG] The only barrel that I have sitting around now is only a 30 gal, and I don't think that would keep up with the ducks [​IMG]

2. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG]

3. ourflockof4

ourflockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Northern Ohio
    Thanks for your input Neil. It's nice to hear that I'm kind of on the right track.

The water tight fitting won't be an issue since the tank still has the ball valve assembly inplace. I will just need to reduce down to the pipe size that I use.

Thanks for the waterer idea for the ducks. I had not plained on them drinking out of the nipples. I was just going to put a hose bibb or ball valve on the end to water them. If I get tired of that I will make sure I get a hold of you and get one of the cup though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by