Rain barrel waterer

lpfdco237

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2015
Im finishing the final details on the coop before getting my first flock and decieed to put in a rain barrel colleftion system. I have the collection part done and will be running a pvc pipe with nipples into the coop and run. This is what i have so far...

This is the front of the coop. The gutter attaches and drains to 1.5" pvc

It then goes down the side and connects to the rear gutter downspout

Finally making a 90 degree turn and filling the 20 gallon barrel from the top

The barrel will have a ovc pipe coming from the bottom that will run througj the wall of the coop, have a few nipples installed and then go into the run with another few nipples. I hope to get that part done shortly and will update this thread then.

If anyone has any helpful comments or suggestions, I'd welcome input on the setup.

Have you checked to see if water run off from a shingled roof is likely to carry any chemical contaminants from the shingles? You might want to do a bit of research on that, as well as consider a filtration system to filter out any non chemical contaminants. A bucket filtration system can be set up that will help remove any bacterial contaminants from fly by birds.

Have you checked to see if water run off from a shingled roof is likely to carry any chemical contaminants from the shingles?  You might want to do a bit of research on that, as well as consider a filtration system to filter out any non chemical contaminants.  A bucket filtration system can be set up that will help remove any bacterial contaminants from fly by birds.

The research I've done says that asphalt shingles shouldn't be an issue.

I do plan on putting a filter on the pvc before it heads into the coop, but I'm really not that concerned about contamination

Back
Top Bottom