Rain-Loving Chickens???

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickiePieGirl, Jul 8, 2011.

1. ChickiePieGirl

ChickiePieGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I am new to chickens, and I thought they did not like to get wet, but 8 of my girls are hanging out in the rain (quite heavy rain) and I have to say it is a sight to see! It is not even hot out today, and it has been cloudy all day. Some are running around, some are walking peacefully, and others are just standing and sitting around! I would love to get a picture, but I'm afraid to get my camera wet, and I don't think I can hold the camera and my umbrella! These chickens are stealing my heart.[​IMG]

2. ShelterGirl

ShelterGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    My grandmother used to always tell us, "If the chickens are out in the rain, it will rain tomorrow. If they are hiding, tomorrow will be clear."
    [​IMG]

See what the forecast holds- it usually works in our parts. Chickens are cool weather detectors. I hav eheard they don't like to get wet and have seen it, but there are times they'll be strutting through the rain.

3. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I think my girls do it just because they know I worry and they know they'll get a good blow dry and some in the house time if they play in the rain. They like sitting in laps...they will sit quietly through a movie usually. Roo always has to put in the last words....he's special though. >_<
    I've never heard of the chickens being out meaning the next day would be pooeee too...I'll have to watch and see...see if this is true in my area. MI is ridiculous and nothing is true! But....we'll see.

4. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Last winter it was driving rain and hail so hard that we brought our hens inside, wrapped in towels and sitting on our laps by the fire place!

5. My Bird likes the rain.

[​IMG]

the will come in a shake like a dog!

[​IMG]

and then want to be blow dried.

[​IMG]

6. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    That's so cool! I never would have guessed [​IMG]

7. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I've noticed something with my girls. The ones older than 3 years will run for cover if it rains. The ones that are 3 years or younger will stay out in the rain unless it's an absolute downpour. Darn kids don't know better than to get in out of the rain! [​IMG] I thought it was the separate breeds at first, but I have two Easter-Eggers that are about 7 years old and one that's just 1 year old, and the youngster'll stay out in the rain but the older ones hide under the car or something.

The only exception to this is that my little 1-year-old Sebrights hate rain, but they're so small they might be afraid they'll drown. XD

8. ChickiePieGirl

ChickiePieGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    [​IMG] Blow dry. I love it! I bet the chickens love it! No rain today, thankfully because we were out on the CT river in our boat! I enjoyed watching their show in the rain, nonetheless![​IMG]

9. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Quote:Surprisingly, they LOVE it! Mine just sit there and almost fall asleep purring. [​IMG]

10. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

My birds like to get wet....literally! ✿◠‿◠
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by