Rain Proofing Run???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dirtbath, Apr 17, 2012.

1. dirtbath

dirtbath Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    North Carolina
    Do you guys do anything to "rain proof" the run? Mine is completely open. I'm guessing they will retreat to the coop when it rains, but who knows. Do you cover your run with a tarp or anything?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I know quite a few people who tarp their runs. However, this can become a problem during winter months when it starts to snow

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My run is uncovered. Most of the time the chickens carry on in the rain. They can always get under the coop or go inside, if they prefer.

They won't rust. They look rather strange all wet.

Chris

4. buffs only

buffs only Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Conyers Georgia
    I have a tin roof over my run, but the main reason is to supply shade in the hot Georgia summers. When it rains they love staying out under the run so I guess it works for that too.

Buffs Only

1 person likes this.
  5. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I currently have a small run with a few boards on top to keep predators out. When I FINALLY finish the run, I will be putting at least a one foot lip on it. Right now the rain is blowing in, but I figure a lip will help a lot, especially in winter. A tarp does sound like a good idea, though. Did you do it?

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  6. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    my dh put metal roofs on two of my runs(after i said poor things are getting wet)and we have one run that has wire on the tops.

7. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    We have the coop and chicken run all under a metal roof. Then we have an attached chicken yard with no cover.
    The covered run allows the to be outside in all weather and creates an great are for the winter when we have 4 or 5 feet of snow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by