Rain Rain go away Man my chickens just dont stay dry

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dab045, May 16, 2010.

1. dab045

dab045 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Kingsville, Missouri
    Will your chickens be alright always in muddy conditions. I mean I do let them get out of their muddy pen inbetween rains to free range in the grass. but man they are in mud most of thetime here lately

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It was like that here in southeast Georgia last year, not to mention the humidity. It was extra work for me keeping their feeders and water containers clean each day. They drank from the mudpuddles anyway. It finally slacked off and perfect timing for their worming schedule. Now we need rain,we havnt had any decent rain in a couple of months,go figure. Send us some please.

3. dab045

dab045 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Kingsville, Missouri
    will do sending you rain right now!!!! Tell me if it works. Yes they drink and pick at the mud puddles even thou they have food in a dish and water in a water holder. I have had them for 3 years and just seems extra wet at this time and worried they will be sick

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You might consider worming them IF they start becoming lethargic, slowed or stopped eating or drinking and stopped laying eggs and they're not in moult. If you get a chance, read "threehorses" messages on worming,great info and I follow her directions to the letter. Dont worry too much, your chickens will be ok. LOL I'll let you know when we get your rain, we need about a weeks worth!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by