1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rain rain go away!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gapeachy, Dec 20, 2008.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    we are still having rain and humidity.....I hate keeping my chickens locked in their coop because it is wet and stinky.....I let them out during the day to slop around in the wet.....we need to dry out

2. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    I know--after last year I hate complaining about rain but my horse pasture is a muddy mess. I've got them on a dry lot while my pasture recovers from last year and it's horrendous. The chickens don't seem to care about the rain and damp and at least they don't have to slog through ankle-deep mud.

Erika

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Me three! I hate to complain what with the drought and all, but I'm ready for a dry day. I have cockerels ready for slaughter and horses that need riding. My lady goats are slogging through mud. I'm slogging through mud. The feed is getting wet just from the ambient moisture. My turkeys look like sewer rats. The worst of it is that only a little of it is real, fill the reservoir rain.

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Amen from Maryland. The rian is crazy. I actually kept the horses in their stalls last night. I almost never do that unless really cold, freezing like below zero. But the pasture is so wet and muddy that the horses are taring it up.

Not raining right not, but they are calling for more rain, sleet and maybe snow this evening and over night.

5. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    Add me to the list. My pasture itself isn't too bad since it's entirely a south facing slope. But we have a smaller paddock around the barn that's a swamp right now. I need a hay delivery soon and I dread it because there is no way the truck can get anywhere near the barn, which means I'm going to have to carry all that hay back there myself. Ughh!

And the chicken coop is just gross when it's this soggy.

6. Tn Gamebirds

Tn Gamebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Same here with all the rain!

I don't know if we will have any grass left in the horse pasture after all this rain. The horses are tearing up the grass it's so wet.

Cow pasture is about as bad.

Not to mention the bird pens!

And supposed to get more rain this afternoon and tonight!!!!

7. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Up here in MA, we are getting a huge snowstorm. It snowed all last night, and the chickens are in their house 24-7!! The snow cleaned out their coop, though. It is not so poopy now.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  8. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Boy, can I relate. It was a muggy 77 here yesterday and a downpour is predicted for tonight. Oh, the mud!

9. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    The weather we have in my part of the UK today is misty and damp. Not at all like Christmas - quite mild too, about 8 C. i have just put up the outside Christmas lights so it looks better out there but I would love to see the sun and some crisp, dry days. Fingers crossed everyone - if we all wish hard enough it might happen.

10. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    what is 8c ...in Farenheit? 8c sounds cold to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by