Rain rain go away!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OliviaDeHav, Aug 24, 2010.

1. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2010
    We don't have a "roof" over our run area and with all the rain, the girls have been inside... I guess my question is... If it is raining... do they know enough to come in out of it??? We didn't try this time around and are going to get a plywood "roof" over part of the run so they can get outside a little when the weather is lousy.... but it rained off and on one day and i was tempted to leave the chicken door open and let them go in and out, but then thought... I could see them gettting all wet, going in and getting ALL covered with shavings, and getting sick or something. (3 of them are only 6 weeks old).
    They seem to stay in a lot anyway... they come out for a while....run back in....back out....run back in... they seem to like it inside! Not that it is bad that they like their coop...

2. redturtle

redturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    stanardsville, va
    how warm is it???
    at 6 weeks old they are still kinda young to be playing in the rain...
    but if it is warm maybe you could try it...as long as the coop is warm enuf that they will dry off fairly quickly

my chixn are 4 1/5 months old...they do get out of the rain (either back in the coop or under the trees)...not sure if your 6 weekers have enuf sense yet...lol...good luck!!!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Mine stay out in the rain, even during a thunderstorm with lightning dancing all around. However, they seek cover if it's windy...go figure!

4. OliviaDeHav

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Well... i felt it was too cold for the 6 week olds...even the 9 week old ones in with them.... so i didn't take any chances.... some of the 6 week ones have fluff on their head still (not much) but they are not fully feathered out yet... Maybe if it were summer summer....but here it was 58 degrees yesterday! August = 58 degrees???? [​IMG] summer gone already??? oh and the coop is super insulated....

5. OliviaDeHav

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] LOL They do have a thing with wind don't they??? Wind is scary....but lightning is ok [​IMG]

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Well... i felt it was too cold for the 6 week olds...even the 9 week old ones in with them.... so i didn't take any chances.... some of the 6 week ones have fluff on their head still (not much) but they are not fully feathered out yet... Maybe if it were summer summer....but here it was 58 degrees yesterday! August = 58 degrees???? [​IMG] summer gone already??? oh and the coop is super insulated....

Where are u located? Its only gotten that low at night for past couple days here in Ohio. The bad thing we have, it is extremely damp, lots of humidity which sucks. I like it when it is raining my meaties get a good bath and don't look yucky for about a 1/2 hour LOL

7. OliviaDeHav

Jul 21, 2010

Where are u located? Its only gotten that low at night for past couple days here in Ohio. The bad thing we have, it is extremely damp, lots of humidity which sucks. I like it when it is raining my meaties get a good bath and don't look yucky for about a 1/2 hour LOL

We are up north in New Hampshire... it has been in the 40s at night! We have red leaves on the trees starting.... but of course in true NE fashion it will be in the 80s later this week........ huh, 90s last week, then 50s, then back to 80s.... someone stop this ride i want to get off! [​IMG]
    I never thought of it as a bath.... i envisioned these soaking wet chickens, with shavings all stuck to them or better yet... dirt and mud from them trying to take a dust bath in it...

8. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    my run dont have a roof either but usually my chickens will run inside when it does rain. But alot of rain last few days so I too left mine in. My chickens are older though @ 15 to 20 weeks old.

9. OliviaDeHav

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:oh my gosh! i love your chicken avatar! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by