Rain, Rain...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SparksNV, Aug 29, 2010.

1. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Got my chickens about 3-4 weeks ago. It is raining today, temp only about 60 degrees. Coop is open & they are huddled under the coop (it's raised about 20"). This is only the second time it has rained since we got them (I live in high desert climate). First time was a real hard thunderstorm. We caught all the hens and locked them in the coop. Today, I wanted to see if they would go into the coop when it started to rain. Well, they haven't. They are protected under the coop and have access to dry food and water. In preparation for colder, snowy weather, should I catch them again and put them in the coop so they also learn/know to go in there when the weather gets bad?

Carol

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    How old are they? 60 might be too cold for them. You might want to put a heat lamp in the coop and put them in, that might work better

3. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    3 are 3 months old, 2 are 3-1/2 months old, and 1 is 4 months old.

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:Oh I thought they might have been babies still, my full grown bo doesn't come out of the rain but its hot here. I think their huddle isn't the rain so much as the cold though. You might still try the heat lamp aim at your roost

5. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    If you put a heat lamp in the coop, show them where it is, they'll always go there when cold....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by