1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rain Sleet Hail and Sun~ The coop frame is up!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by humboldtpeeps, Mar 26, 2011.

1. humboldtpeeps

humboldtpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    OMG! look what we got done!!!!!
    We got 3 solid hours in today- it rained and hailed with periods of sun but we just kept working.
    Our garage and laundry room is flooded but when the break in the weather came we worked on the coop (priorities right?)
    I cant tell you how happy we are to have the frame up for our coop and run [​IMG]
    Thanks for all the help and advice- ill continue to post our progress!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The total dimensions are 5' x 10', 6' high. The coop will be 3'x5', have big doors for cleaning, an external nest box, and an awesome window i acquired at the city dump. The coop will be elevated 2.5 feet off the ground and enclosed by the run which will be wrapped in hardware cloth.

We have 5 chickens- an australorp, BO, BR, SS, and a gigantic Americana (easter egger) named Mothra that we think might be a turn into a roo but we hope not... [​IMG]
    here they are having a snack
    [​IMG]

2. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Great start, can't wait to see it all finished! (you too I bet). Ours seemd to take forever to build..... I'm glad you have your priorities straight. Laudry can wait--you've got chickens [​IMG]

3. newchicks5

newchicks5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    wi
    looks good,need to start mine when the snow melts again.

4. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:The snow is lasting forever here and we have very large snow banks still to melt. [​IMG] I want to be working on my coop!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    OH NO Not MOTHRA. My niece used to be nuts about the song, the twin girls sang to bring on Mothra. She even recorded it (8 track), this was a long time ago, she is now in her 40's. Now that you jogged my memory I can tease her all over again about it. Thanks you so much. What a great name for a Chicken.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Great start for 3 hours of work! Looks nice!

7. humboldtpeeps

humboldtpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    we have made some more progress~ this roof took forever to get figured out- in retrospect we may have done it the hard way [​IMG] but its on! tomorrow will put the metal roofing over it and then get working on the coop. If the weather hold we can stain it this weekend and get the hardware cloth on. So exciting!
    here is the roof we put on- it will have gutters that will drain into a rain catchment system [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

couldn't happen too soon for them - they are growing sooo fast [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    That is going to be a nice sized chicken coop. Very good work!

9. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    [​IMG]

Great job.
    I feel your pain. We put the roof on our coop in 35mph wind gusts. Had to time it just right to keep from having to slide plywood up twice. (No way I was going to catch the stuff if the wind caught it)

Hope it is finished soon, so the girls can move in.

10. farmerpalermo

farmerpalermo New Egg

Mar 31, 2011
    That looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by