Rain storm and a Raccoon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by YumeRyuu, Aug 10, 2013.

1. YumeRyuu

YumeRyuu New Egg

Jun 22, 2013
    I knew there was a raccoon on my property... but I thought my chickens were safe.

Yesterday there was a huge rainstorm in my area. It rain so heavy for hours. I couldn't check my babies... My 3 golden comets and 3 partridge/silkie mix...
    I came out this morning and they were all lying in a pile INSIDE their run... their heads torn off...one was inside the house, also its head torn off.
    I saw that the raccoon tried to pull them out but couldn't. Still... we are trying to figure out HOW it got in... we don't know. Honestly I don't know... I'm so sad... I had them since they hatched. They were beautiful and each one had an amazing personality.
    My avatar picture is one of the ones that were killed...

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    It sounds like you have a weasel or a mink. They are known to pile up their victims and eat heads. They can get into a 1'' hole. I am sorry to hear about your loss [​IMG]

3. TOP KNOT

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
  4. YumeRyuu

YumeRyuu New Egg

Jun 22, 2013
    It was such a terrible thing to see. I am so devastated. Here in Nova Scotia, there are weasels and raccoons. Today we are now once again wildlife proofing our coops so that NONE of our other babies will be put into danger.

I am having such a terrible week with my chickens... one died of gapeworm last week, one dropped dead also and now I lost 6 more... I feel like I am such a terrible chicken mom... I am so upset.

Any recommendations on how to catch what it is that is killing my chickens?

5. TOP KNOT

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Not sure how to trap mink/weasel. I have a run with 2x4 holes, its horse fence. I have 1/2''hardware cloth on the house, which has a chicken door that I can close. I have not had any problems with mink or weasel and hopefully never do. At night lock them down in a strong inclosure with strong small holed wire.
    When a predator is hungry they go to great lengths to get a meal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by