Rain storm out of nowhere???? HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MMPoultryFarms, Jul 3, 2010.

1. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Woke up this morning and everything was clear skys were clear 9 am it starts misting outside off and on, here it is 1 PM and its been pouring down non stop I bet theres at least 2-4 inches of rain fall my free range chickens wont go to there coops most of them have found shelter under vehicles trees barns ect. but theres some who are just walking around like theres nothing wrong. are my birds in any danger with these storms should we let the dogs off the leash and round em all up or will they go back as normal when the night comes?
    This is our first experience with chickens and rain been really hot and humid here lately but no rain. any advice would help.

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    They will be fine as long as they are not babies, we have had our share of flash floods the last 2 months and everyone did just fine.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  3. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    the cornish rock are so called babys but rest of the flock is 4 months +

4. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    This post is like 4 days old now and it has not stopped raining yet the weather man says were in for 6 more days of rain My yard isn't set up for locking up birds my feeder set ups are for free rangeing only should I lock all the birds up and build temp feeders for 300+ birds or should i continue to allow them to free range even in these storms? I am afraid all this rain is going to damage my flock as we never get rain here i oklahoma this time of year were usually in a drought?

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Please. PLEASE! Send the rain to Phoenix. We really need a cool down. 111 today. [​IMG]

6. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:Please please take the rain you need it we dont [​IMG]

7. mickistoy

mickistoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    ok i am confused [​IMG] this is your FIRST experience with chickens and you have 300+?!? [​IMG]
    i am NOT worthy!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:Eh?? got to love chicken math I went to atwoods to get a few chicks now I am okarche oklahoma's first N.P.I.P. certified poultry farm. the door was Opened so I took off running threw it. supply and demand was so big in this area since there hasn't been a poultry farm here since the 1800's and everyone wanted free range broilers and eggs. My family and I were struggling and I took the opportunity to fix that. Now I have over 300 birds and I order no less then 25 per week Hope this helps fix your confusion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by