Rain water for my chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 1country, Nov 16, 2011.

1. 1country

1country Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Hi I was wondering if anybody give's there chicken rain water and if so do you treat the water like a fish tank and is it safe to do so ? I have a 250 gallon tank with rain water and it looks like allgie growing in it .

2. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't but I've read about others that do with success.
    You can put a goldfish or snail in the barrel ~ they are vegetarians & will eat algae
    You can raise guppies in the barrel in warmer climates (they are tropical fish) and then
    you can feed the guppy babies to the chickens.
    Some add a screen to keep debris from going in.
    Keep some kind of cover on, we had to take care of an accidentally drowned squirrel this weekend [​IMG] gross

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  3. 1country

1country Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks for the info .

4. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    I gave my chickens rain water all the time until we moved. Now the house we're in doesn't have a rain catcher (yet). I didn't treat the water just gave it to them as it was. Never had any problems.

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    The only reason algae will grow is exposure to light,it will even grow in regular tap water if left long enough with access to light. I would think if you keep it in a light proof or light reducing barrel it would cut down on growth. Maybe accompanied with ACV would also help. But all that being said,I have come to find that chickens will drink out of the most discusting muddy,poop laden puddle they can find so dont think a liitle algae will hurt them. Personally I dont care for rain barrels as it is just another place for mosquitos to breed.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  6. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    if you want you can process it in this fashion:

pvc or tube to a water seperator. You can find these onlie for those rainbarrel systems.
    Then pvc or tube to a marine filter. (removed big items like leaf particles and such)
    Then pvc or tube to a carbon filter
    then to a micron filter
    then tube or pvc to your barrel

your water should be "safe" for chickens to drink.

remember Ive seen chickens drink dirty duck pond water...[​IMG]

7. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    I have a kids pooll setup out back of my yard and all i give my animals is rain water. Think about all the stuff that goes into the water out of our tap in comparison i think they would perfer the rain water.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  8. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I do. I have a gutter on my coop, which runs in to a barrel.

A lid will prevent accidental drownings of creatures and keep mosquito larvae out. I pour in some apple cider vinegar to prevent algae.

9. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I do use rain water out of a rain barrel, I use a tiny capful of food grade hydrogen peroxide in the large barrel and I don't have issues with algea (sp) with no Ill effects.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by