Rain water for the coop??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dixiedoodle, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I am in NC and since our drought seems to continue--I am trying to be a water saver even though we have a great well (knock on wood, [​IMG]). I have been thinking about rain water collection for the coop.. Would it be safe to give the birds? The coop will have a metal roof, gutters and downspout into a collection barrel with a hose attached. If mosquitoes are a problem, I could drop a goldfish or other lavra eating fish into the barrel??? Any opinions, ideas, notes, anyone else use rain water for your birds??? Thank you Dixie

2. elliemb

elliemb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    I use it all the time in the summer! If my barrel starts to look a bit icky, I take the time to empty it and give it a scrub the next time it rains.

3. oakmancritters

oakmancritters Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2007
    oakman,alabama
    to keep the skeaters out of the barrel put a lid on it with a hole for the downspout. i use rain water for my animals here as well as to water my garden.

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    what about a solar pump? would the bubbles work to keep them away?

5. TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Growing up we always used roof runoff water for our birds. My parent's house didn't have an outdoor spigot for a hose. We always had an assortment of 5 gallon buckets collecting water from the tin roof on the house. We would also use a scoop to water our gardens from the buckets. Dad would carry the buckets to the garden and we would apply the water to each plant rather than wasting water with a hose. This was especially important because we had a well for a water supply and didn't want it to go dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by