Rain water off my Chook house roof, is it okay for my chooks to drink?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Badboychook, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Badboychook

Badboychook New Egg

Nov 20, 2010
    Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could help me, this is the first time i have posted on this site and not 100% know what i'm doing, i'm just at the finishing stage of building my first chook house and have installed a self watering system inside for the chooks to drink from when they need to, it uses the rainwater off the metal roof and stores it in a water tank, but i wondering if this system is okay?, because even though the roof is clean it does have the odd possum & bird poo on it once and while, i have put a plastic mesh over the guttering itself....., but would this water still be good for my chickens to drink?...
    any response's would be much appreciated....
    Cheers

2. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

My birds prefer to drink from mud puddles.

3. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I have been considering the same set-up for my coop. I was thinking of putting a rain barrel at the downspout to catch the rain water off the roof which is 224+ square feet. I don't know the answer to your question, but I would guess that it would be no worse than them drinking from puddles (which happens all the time!) I will be watching for other's opinions.

Oh, and by the way [​IMG]! You have found the best source for information on the web, BYC rocks!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  4. Badboychook

Badboychook New Egg

Nov 20, 2010
    Thanks for your reply's, i'm getting a little excited, because it's not long now until i get my new chooks, i'm just at the finishing stages of building the run, and then it's all go, i'm looking at getting 3 Isa Browns to start with, i've been told that they are good natured birds to start with, i'm a little worried about my Shar Pei dog i have, but the coop will be very secure, i have to spen a little bit of time introducing them first i reckon...

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Remember, all dogs are predators.

Make the run and coop as secure as you can and then watch for weaknesses that need improvement. I have had my share ....

6. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    My chickens go nuts when I dump their dirty water out on the ground. They LOVE to drink the nasty muddy water with poop and sticks floating in it... weird. I would say, heck yes! To catching the water running off the coop. Why not?

7. lynnemabry

lynnemabry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    My girls have had mostly rain water collected off of our roof into a 500 gallon water bag. That supplied them all last summer. Right now I am using snow melt of the roof. We live with a very tight water supply and try not to waste anything. They are happy and healthy. And I am getting 4-7 eggs a day from 8 pullets.

8. Trampledbygeese

Trampledbygeese Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Quote:I give mine almost exclusively rain water. They don't like the well water.

Could you tell me more about the system you set up? I was wondering how I could transform the rain barrels into an automated watering system.

9. Badboychook

Badboychook New Egg

Nov 20, 2010
    Hey Trampledbygeese,
    my water system is gravity fed from the rain water collected off the roof of the chook house, which travels down the guttering into a 100L water tank, which is slightly raised off the ground, then i have drilled a hole in the back of it down the bottom which around a 2inch plumbers pipe come out of the back and goes into the chook house, and off that pipe i have 4 self watering nipples that have been screwed into the pipe and siliconed to prevent any leaking, i have uploaded some pictures on here, but being new to this i'm not to sure how u get to view them?, i hope this helps

cheers

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:See my BYC page for Pics of my Coop rainwater collection that I've been using for many years. I put goldfish in the stock tank to prevent mosquitoes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by