Rain!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by KDailey, Jul 19, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    It's been sooo hot and humid around here in East Texas and we haven't had much rain....until yesterday!

I was out in the chicken run with my 23 cute little chickies. It was getting cloudy but it does that all the time and doesn't rain or it may just sprinkle a little so I didn't think anything about it. Dear boyfriend was in the horse shed while I played with my chickies. All of a sudden my phone rings and it's my little sister calling to tell me that my big dog Gunner is loose and she can't catch him. She's only 13 and tiny at that and she's also just visiting for a week so Gunner doesn't really know her well. That's not to say that she could even hold him if she did catch him, he weighs 60 lbs and I think she's just barely 70.

So I yell for Ryan so I can tell him Gunner is loose, I can't go get him without putting the chicks up first because there's no cover on the run yet and i'm not risking my little babies. Right about the time Ryan walks out of the horse shed we start to hear a roaring sound coming from the direction of a huge, black, cloud. Ryan yells, "It's rain!! Let's go!!" But of course I can't leave my chickies out so I said, "I have to get the chicks inside." He says, "What do you want me to do? Get Gunner or help with the chicks?" Well of course I think the chicks will be no problem and Gunner is running loose so he really needs to be caught and tied back up. So I tell him to go get Gunner while I take care of the chicks.

He takes off and then here comes the rain! The poor little chickies completely panicked!! 17 of them are only about 2 weeks old, 5 are 4 1/2 weeks old and one is somehwere in the 5-6 week old range. The older ones jumped up in the coop (they've already figured out how to go in and out) but the little ones went running all over the run cheeping as loud as their little lungs could manage. Of course it was POURING down. Before I had caught three of the little buggers I was completely drenched! But those little chicks looked absolutely pitiful. The rain drops were practically as big as their heads [​IMG]

Of course we didn't drive down to the coop so now I'm stuck inside the coop with the babies while it is practically flooding everything outside. When Ryan's sister came to get me from the coop and I got back to the house poor Ryan was drenched top to bottom all the way through. He was able to catch Gunner easily but had to fix the stake he was tied to. Poor guy!

But! The good thing is I now know that the chicken coop doesn't leak! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

After all that, its a real good thing the chicken coop roof doesn't leak for sure!!! [​IMG] I'm taking it, that the babies are all okay? They will get used to the rain in time. Guess you're happy, because you really needed the rain, huh? Have fun!! Tell Gunner to behave himself!! [​IMG]

3. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Yes all the chicks are fine. lol. We're definately glad for the rain, I just prefer for it to rain at night or while I'm at work so it doesn't disturb my outside activities during my free time.

How long before the chicks realize that rain isn't going to eat them or for them to figure out that going in the coop will keep them dry? Ryan is supposed to be finishing the wire over the run so I can leave them out during the day but this rain was so sudden and unexpected I would hate for that to happen again when I'm not home and come back to drowned chicks. (It's not that bad in their run as far as flooding but you know what I mean. lol)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by