Rain

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TEXASSCENT, Dec 5, 2011.

1. TEXASSCENT

TEXASSCENT Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    I Have 6 Rir's. When Its Raining Should I Keep Them Inside Their House? The House Is 12x12 And The Floor Is 4 Inches Deep In Pine Shavings. They Have Food And The Water Nipple System In There. We Are Getting Some Very Heavy Rain And The Run Is Muddy.

2. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Mine are mostly hiding in the house but they are fine either way. Some not so bright ones like silkies may stare at the sky and drown. Especially since they may not know what that stuff is. I'm bringing in my young ones that have just moved outside in for the night so they warm up and dry off.

3. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    My girls love the rain! [​IMG] But I don't have to worry about mud out here in the desert!

4. Moogie

Moogie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    DFW, Texas
    Yeah - it's great to have the rain after the drought this summer, isn't it?

12X12 sounds like a really nice house for your RIRs. [​IMG] I bet they love all that room!!

I let mine out (8 mos old) and they seem to love it - the rain brings up the worms & bugs and they love scratching through all the wet leaves. If it starts raining hard, they run for the hoop coop and stay there until it passes and then head out again.

The entrance to my hoop coop run is a mess, as well. This is my first year for chickens, so I'm learning as I go. Plus, we haven't had rain in how many months??? [​IMG]

Tomorrow, I'm adding a clear vinyl windbreak to the west end/door and may put a layer of bricks in front of their nesting boxes (nearly ground level), which is where most of the mud is. I also ordered a 16x16 clear tarp (to replace the dark blue one) to cover the HC, so they should get a nice greenhouse effect in there, lol.

Just be sure they have on their downy coats and send them out to play! [​IMG]

5. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Turning them out in the rain won't hurt them, but neither will leaving them cooped up. We are getting the rain too. It has been raining here since Saturday. Normally I free range, but yesterday my yard was flooded so I only opened the pop doors into the runs. This morning the runs were flooded too, so I didn't open the pop doors. They will be alright left in the coop. I threw laying pellets and scratch on the floor to give mine something to do. If you have it, give them a cabbage or a few apples to peck on, while they are cooped up.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I had to pass out "floaties" to my flock. We've got about 6" in the last 2 days! YUCK!!!

7. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:You aren't far from me. I'm on the other side of Clinton. I may have to get water wings for my birds [​IMG] .

8. Sir Birdaholic

Hi neighbor! You may see my birds floating by, so turn them around & float 'em back this way! [​IMG]

9. ozark_chickies

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:Sure will [​IMG] , and if you spot mine send them back across the lake.

10. Sir Birdaholic

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by