rainbow chicks

papeine

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Hastings
I have 4 rainbows that are about 12 weeks old.. I am afraid I have 2 roosters as they have larger combs and a bit of a beard, the other two do not.. is it possible to tell at this age??

Do you mean Dixie Rainbows?

They shouldn't have any beard at all, and they mature at a rate the males will be very obvious.

At any rate by 12 weeks, males should be obvious in most breeds.

If you meant Easter Egger (rainbow layer), then it can be a bit harder with the pea comb. 3 rows of peas usually means male, and any size and pinkness will be male. Females EE's have very small pale combs until POL.

Color pattern helps as well.

Posting a photo would help.

LofMc

ok so last week I found out my Oliver egger, Livy was a boy and because he has a crest and cushion comb he probably wasn't bcm over EE. So today I drive thru flooding water( I live in SE Louisiana) to gets welsummer sexed pullet. Then I read pullets have eyeliner and a "v" on top on their head. Is this a barnvelder that jumped into the wrong bin? Help Junebuggena
1f633.png
1f62c.png

ok so last week I found out my Oliver egger, Livy was a boy and because he has a crest and cushion comb he probably wasn't bcm over EE. So today I drive thru flooding water( I live in SE Louisiana) to gets welsummer sexed pullet. Then I read pullets have eyeliner and a "v" on top on their head. Is this a barnvelder that jumped into the wrong bin? Help Junebuggena
1f633.png
1f62c.png

Sorry, that's not a Welsummer and doubt it's a Barnevelder either... Barnevelders should have yellow legs as well and those legs are dark... :(

1f633.png
1f62c.png

Definitely not a Welsummer. Could be a Barnevelder. Chick leg color changes somewhat as they mature and I think I see some yellow foot pads. You can see what I mean in this feathersite photo array http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Barnev/BRKBarnev.html#BarneChix

May also be a mixed breed. Hard to know at this point.

LofMc

Thank you so much for taking a look. The site was very helpful. So probably a barnvelder mix. Recently retired and new to this but gee duped twice.
1f621.png
Here's my Oliver egger that was suppose to be BCM over EE. He has a cushion comb and crest.

yes Dixie rainbows.. they are 12 weeks.. if it is obvious by then...then they are roosters because the other two look quite a bit different...

If you post pictures, we may be able to confirm. Dixie Rainbows do not have any specific colorations, and there can be quite a difference between individuals, even if they are all the same gender.

Back
Top Bottom