1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rainbow flock additions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by meandmissfame, Oct 3, 2015.

1. meandmissfame

meandmissfame Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2015
    So I have a flock I started this spring of various chicken breeds. I am wanting to add to the flock next spring, trying a few more breeds as well. I currently have one rooster, to keep the hen to rooster ratio at a healthy level (16 hens to one rooster), but when I get more hens in the spring I would like to add one or two more roosters, depending on how many hens I add of course. My question is, what breeds of roosters do well with other breeds of roosters in mixed flock, as a general rule? I realize each individual is just that, and no guarantees as to temperment, but I also know that different breeds do have general personality traits that can be somewhat depended upon. My current rooster is a Buff Orpington. I was thinking of adding a French Copper Black Marans, and then possibly either a Barred Rock or Salmon Favorelles rooster. Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance!!!!! :)

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Actually the rooster to hen ratio is more like one rooster to ten hens. Do you need roosters for fertile eggs to hatch or sell.? If not there really isn't a need for a rooster at all. Hens will continue to lay just as many eggs but, they will be infertile.

If you want roosters for protection - the best they can do is sound the alarm for danger so the hens can run or hide. No rooster will last long trying to fend off some predator. When he is killed the hens are just as vulnerable as without one.

The reason I bring this up is Buff orps, Salmon favorelles roos etc. are generally mild mannered - they aren't not fierce protectors. Cochins are another mild breed.

If you need something to sound the alarm - guineas can do that readily - they notice everything and react loudly to anything different. Also they eat lots of ticks, etc.

I don't speak from experience but, have read on here that roosters(of any breeds) raised together generally will get along when they are older.I'm sure other responders will have different opinions. to offer.

3. steven29128

steven29128 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    South Carolina USA
    Welcome to Back Yard Chickens ! [​IMG]

4. meandmissfame

meandmissfame Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2015
    I do want to hatch a few eggs for fun, but mainly just enjoy roosters. I don't need to worry about protection, as my chickens are penned, and when free ranged, it is under supervision. I just want to make sure the "community" is as amicable as possible, lol. Thanks for the input, and thanks for the welcomes! :D

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by