Rainbow - Is she anEaster Egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OwensChickens, Mar 9, 2014.

1. OwensChickens

OwensChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2013
    My guess is EE.

[​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes, Easter Egger. 100% certain.

Are you sure that is a girl? How old is the bird?

The coloring fits a roo as it is patchier, and that comb is large for a pea comb? (hard to see in photo comb type)...but if that is an older bird, that would explain the comb.

However, I also see some spikiness in the saddle feathers. Unless that bird is laying eggs already, I wouldn't be too quick to call it a hen.

Lady of McCamley

3. OwensChickens

OwensChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2013
    She is almost 11 months old. We are not positive about anything (rainbow was in our first batch of eggs we hatched from a friend), but pretty sure she is a hen. Here is another pic:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My guess is she had one Ee parent and one non-Ee parent. The comb has that funky straight comb crossed with pea comb look, and the yellow legs make me think another breed also. I've crossed EE with Leghorn and gotten birds with similar characteristics--funky comb, yellow legs, puffy cheeks. They are my best layers!

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Yes, Rainbow is indeed very much an Easter Egger. Also, a rare color for EE's - she's a hot skip away from blue laced red.

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    At 11 months then yes, definitely a hen. She would have a full saddle and sickle feathers by now if male. Some girls get a funky feather here or there.

I agree almost a blue laced red.

What color of egg does she lay?

Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by