Rainbow of Wyandottes?

firedove

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Fitzwilliam NH
I wanted to get a very varied flock of Wyandottes so I ordered 5 different colors. I hope to keep a blue laced red roo and a silver penciled roo. The other colors are Colombian, silver laced, and gold laced. I'd like to keep a few hens from each of the 5 color varieties...

If I let the hens raise their eggs am I looking at a veritable rainbow of color babies or are there just a few colors that would dominate? Thanks!

I don't know.... but I look forward to pics in the future
smile.png

I don't know about the breeding stuff. But I have had a few bantam wyandotte's and they are my favorite breed. I'm sure you will love yours even if they aren't bantam.

this is what the chicken calculator says

http://home.hetnet.nl/~h.meijers69/kruising.html

BLR x GL= blue or black incomplete spangled
BLRxSL=Roos-blue patterned golden laced, black patterned golden laced
hens-black patterned red laced, blue patterned red laced
BLRxColumbian= the same as BLRxSL
BLRxSP= same as BLRxSL EXEPT all incomplete spangled instead of laced
------------------
SPxBLR=hens-blue patterned redshouldered/creme incomplete spangled, black patterned redshouldered/creme incomplete spangled
roos- blue patterned golden incomplete spangled, black patterned golden incomplete spangled
SPxGL= hens- black patterned silver incomplete spangled
roos- black patterned golden incomplete spangled
SPxSL= black patterned silver incomplete spangled
SPxColumbian= black patterned silver incomplete transverse pencilled

Henk69 is a member on here and he INVENTED it so he could probably translate that into something we could understand!
-Jake

I know that when you cross a BLR cock to GL hens you get either gold laced or blue laced gold. When you cross a BLR cock to SL hens you get a sexlink where the males are a poor silver laced with red leaking through and the females would be either gold laced or red laced. The chicks would either have black or blue lacing.

Quote:
i dont mean to jump on this post but, i suppose i dont quite understand how to use this. i tried to cross a barred rooster and a red barred hen, it didnt seem to work when i clicked calculate results all that it came up with was more barred chickens. is this what i would get then? thanks!
~Bri

I am pretty sure when you cross a barred cock to red barred hens you will get all birds that are barred that may show some red. If you take a son from that and mate it back to its mother you should get more red barred birds. I wll have to go to the calcuator and mess around alittle.

Thanks everyone
smile.png
My Wyandottes will be large fowl. I don't entirely understand all of the calculator info but I'm thinking that maybe a SP roo is a bad idea since all of the colors sound like they would be weird. I'll have to see what I get for roos from all the colors and go from there. Technically the SL, GL, and Columbian should be pullets, but we all know how that goes. Maybe I will get a nice silver laced roo instead. I think they are beautiful too.

FMP, thank you for your insight on crossing the BLR with the SL and GL. It made more sense to me than the calculator, lol.

I had tried to use the calculator myself but couldn't figure it out. I don't know chicken genetics yet so all the letters and stuff made no sense to me. I need to learn that stuff one of these days.

OK, so I figured out how to use the calculator now by just picking a color. Now my biggest question is what does a "spangled" chicken look like?

Hi! I'm new! But I saw the question so I did some research. I found it at Cackle Hatchery.

I haven't quite figured out how to work this yet so bear with me if this doesn't work. Spangled Hamburgs are nice though. My favorite are BLR Wyandottes, but I might want to get some of these with them too. I am just starting chickens this year. ~ ChickenKick

Back
Top Bottom