1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raining eggs! Who knew?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Oct 8, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So lately I've been very whiny about the apparent egg drought my girls were experiencing. Everybody is 22.5 weeks and not an egg from the lot.
    On top of the egg drought we've also had a rain drought. Not a drop of rain for a couple of months. Everything is brown and crunchy.

So today it rained. Starting last night and going right on through the day it has steadily rained. Rain, rain, rain everywhere. The girls were all hunkered down under the shed this morning not daring to venture forth into the monsoon. What IS this stuff falling from the sky?

So what do you think I found in the nest box this evening? That's right- our first egg!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Look how adorable this egg is. This may be the most perfect first egg ever. (The white egg is a store egg and is for scale.)
    [​IMG]

Apparently my chickens lay dehydrated eggs and need water to make them poof out.
    [​IMG]

Excuse me as I go do the Happy Egg Dance of Joy around my house. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

2. herbsherbsflowers

herbsherbsflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Covington, GA
    We had rain all day too, but no eggs. Ours just stood under the coop and complained.

3. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I know about the happy egg dance too! We did it here when our hens started to lay. Congratulations on your first egg! Now I am sure that you will check the nesting boxes 10,000 times a day!

4. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    We're at 23.5 weeks. No rent yet!

5. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:What? You check the nesting boxes more after they lay than before they laid??? I already check 10,000 times a day. Don't know how I can possibly check them more once they lay?? [​IMG]

6. TT

TT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats on your first egg! [​IMG]

8. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yeah, I limit myself to checking morning and evening. Thankfully I'm at work all day or I'd be out there every hour seeing who is doing what. I kinda want a coop cam, but I'm pretty sure that would move me right on over into neurotic chicken owner. [​IMG]

Lengel- I've got 15 pullets and 2 roos all at 22.5 weeks. One coop and one coop annex. Umpteen bags of food and pine shavings. Bags of scratch, sunflower seeds and grit. Two feeders (homemade) and two waterers (store bought). So far one egg. This egg is now worth approximately $1.75 million dollars. [​IMG]

It sure is cute though. [​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My chickens KNOW they've got a neurotic owner! I've literally stood over the girls and waited while they were on the nest. They drop the egg, jump out of the nest and give me a dirty look as they walk away. [​IMG]

10. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first egg [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by