Rainwater good or not ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mynewbabies, Mar 23, 2013.

1. mynewbabies

mynewbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    Has anyone used rainwater to water their chickens and ducks with. Is it Safe?

2. fire pirate

fire pirate Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    enumclaw Washington
    Following this thread

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    It's better for them than city water. Think about it... No chemicals. You do want to be sure your collection point is clean. For example: I wouldn't catch rain off a freshly tared or shingled roof. I also think your water collection system needs to be bug and mosquito proof. The main thing I worry about is stagnant water. Water sitting in a drum for a month during a drought might not be tasty.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If there is a drought the rain barrel will be empty or only have the water you added with the hose.

5. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    why wouldn't it be safe?

Rainwater is about as pure as you can get. All of the animals and humans for that matter that live here get plain old well water.

6. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    Rainwater actually does have chemicals. Think of all the pollutants In our air rising up into the clouds.

7. honeybunny

honeybunny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    I can't see what wrong rain water would do. No chlorine, fluoride, etc. if anyhing, its better

8. cinch920

cinch920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Central Nebraska
    haha how true is that now days, especially in the midwest. What's rain? I forget what it looks like!

9. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I would rather drink rain water than that stuff you city folks call water. Anything that smells like chemicals and tastes like chemicals can't be good for you. If I order water in a restaurant I have to get like 4-5 lemon slices to get that taste out of it.

What do you think ducks drink and swim in -in the wild? My chickens would rather drink muddy water in a puddle than fresh water in a waterer.

10. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW

Go to a hick town like mine, your water will taste heavenly ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by