Rainy day makes me ask...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 2DogsFarm, Apr 21, 2009.

1. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Are you getting tired of my incessant newbie questions yet? [​IMG]

Today is a drizzly, chilly (40s) Spring day and it made me want to ask:
    1-Would my (future) chickens be okay if I left their coop open to the weather today?
    They'd be able to either shelter under the overhang or go back in the coop through the smallish door that leads to the run.
    Door is in the center of the wall, so roosts and nestboxes would still be somewhat sheltered.

2-Would wood shavings bedding provide enough comfort if they chose to stay in?

TIA [​IMG]

2. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    They should be fine, as long as they are fully feathered. Some breeds are more cold-hardy than others, but as long as they have shelter, they should be fine. Shavings work well as bedding.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:No thats what this forum is all about, I know someone will say use the search thing, but that isnt as fun as getting your own question answered, but remember when your no longer a newbie, its your turn to answer the same questions. [​IMG]

1 Yes they will be fine. Its rainy here, and mine all choose to be out in the rain. They have been out everyday even when there was snow on the ground.

2. Wood shavings will be fine, they dont usuaully nestle down into the shavings to get warm anyway. You might find that they track in extra water and shavings closest to the door get wet, but just turn them over, and they will dry out when the rain stops.

[​IMG]

4. me&thegals

me&thegals Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wisconsin
    No, yes and yes [​IMG]

I don't think 26 posts qualifies as incessant! (unless they were all in the last hour [​IMG])

Wood shavings are all we've raised our babies on. The chickens will let you know what they're okay with. If they're huddled inside on a rainy day, then I guess they don't want to be outside. Sometimes, though, ours will be out in weather I would have thought they wouldn't like. Of course, they need to be old enough to be away from the heat lamp or other heat source before they can handle chilling in the rain.

Good luck!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What marlinchaser said. Mine are out every day. They will go under shelter only during really heavy rain. But then we don't get snow.

6. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Chickens are really quite weather proof- those that arent are show birds or strange breeds. The chickens that are too stupid to come in out of the weather shouldnt be in the breeding population to begin with. While today's chickens are quite heavy and inbred and far from wild fowl, remember they once were. They started in the wild wind rain and weather.

They'd be fine.

7. genabeana

genabeana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    Hendersonville, TN
    I left mine out yesterday in heavy rain. They were fine. If I were them, I would have gone upstairs to the dry part of the coop, but they hung out all day on the wet ground underneath a roofed area.

8. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Yes, your chickens should be fine. Mine were out yesterday and today. Everytime it started raining they would head into the coop and covered run. I have a broody w/5wk old chicks and she would have them all go out for 10-15 minute forays then the chicks would all run back inside and get under the heat lamp for a bit. It was so cute! [​IMG] they were in and out of the shed all day long. I'm leaving the heat lamp on just for that purpose since it has gotten cold again. With the warm up coming later this week, I'll turn the lamp off.

9. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Like Keeper said, until they are big, they need Mama or a lamp or both. Otherwise, full grown chickens are super-hardy. Save your worries for something else!
    I leave my coop open a smidge, with access to the run, unless the temps are 10F or lower. Right now, it is 40F, windy and rainy, brrrrr.... My chickens are scratching around in the run. The Polish look like drowned ragdolls. Their poofs are soaked and floppy! [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chickens go out in the rain and out in the ice (snow is rare here).
    If it starts to rain hard they find cover, usually under the carport.
    Only one of my chickens doesn't like to be out in the weather. She uses it as an excuse to take a good long nap in the nest box without the other chickens bothering her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by