1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rainy Day Project-Mug Mats....What Crafty Things Are YOU Doing Today?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by speckledhen, Jan 2, 2015.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I am making my mug mat sets today. It's fairly easy to do, lots of squares of fabric, some batting, some sewing and VOILA! Easy and useful and beautiful mug mats, or cup cozies as some like to call them. They aren't truly quilted unless you want to run some quilting through them, but I still call them a quilt project. These are patriotic ones. You can even throw them in the washing machine. And no, you don't "unfold" them; they are used as is, on either side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The finished product looks like this:

[​IMG]

I finished two 4 piece sets, one patriotic and one spring-like.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Oooh nice!! Doing nothing too crafty today...lol!! You???

3. speckledhen

Today, I have to get some stuff to keep my old arthritic rooster from getting frostbite when temps drop to near zero Wednesday night, but when that is done, I'm going to make some heat resistant hot pads, similar to the mug mats, but with Insul-Bright batting. [​IMG] And I'm expecting a shipment of fabric today from www.thousandsofbolts.com.
    [​IMG] I love getting new fabric.

4. ChickyChickens

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    OH!! Aweosme!! LOL im more of a drawer/painter!! LOL does htta mean i can still count in on your thread>>

5. speckledhen

Of course. My husband, Speckled Roo, is the painter here. He did these paintings, in case you haven't seen them. The blue rooster is my friend Ladyhawk's rooster, Lancelot (she is Cetawin on BYC). And the white one is what makes up my avatar, my beloved Isaac, my old man.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ChickyChickens

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    WOW!!! Your husband can draw!! So oyur husband is on BYC too??

7. speckledhen

His screen name is Speckled Roo, as I mentioned, but he rarely posts here.

8. ChickyChickens

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Oh i see!! okay..sorry for being dumb for a while there **facepalm**

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    speckledhen, I didn't realize your DH was an artist! He's certainly talented. And here all along, I just knew him as "Cat Hater", lol.

10. speckledhen

Oh, no, DH has many talents. I guess I'll have to start calling him a Cat Magnet instead of Cat Hater. Finn obviously prefers him to me. Finn blew the touch module in my pretty Tiffany style lamp that Ladyhawk bought me to sit on the table next to my recliner, my "crochet/quilt chair", when he jumped up and hit the plug suddenly. So, DH had to do some wiring and fix it because I depend on that lamp daily. Hey, my dogs never did that. Bad kitty.

I also made these hotpad/potholders with heat resistant batting. They are larger than the mug mats. This can be made any size, really.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made these actual quilted mug mats exclusively for Ladyhawk and Ellie a couple of years ago, the old fashioned way, so they took lots more time than the ones above:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by